Basic Drug Info
Manufacturer: GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Active Substance: Acyclovir (aciclovir)
Drug Form: Film-coated tablets, ointment, drops
Available Doses: 200 mg, 400 mg, 800 mg
- What is Zovirax?
- What is Zovirax used for?
- How does Zovirax work?
- How long does Zovirax stay in your system?
- What are the side effects of Zovirax?
- Where can you buy Zovirax over the counter?
What is Zovirax?
Zovirax (acyclovir, or aciclovir) is an oral drug used in treatment of viral infections with Herpes simplex and varicella zoster. The drug is also available in form of 5% cream (ointment) for topical application).
What is Zovirax used for?
The formulations by mouth include a dosage of 200-400 mg (up to 800 mg in the case of genital herpes) for 5 times a day for at least 5 days. The dose should be halved in children under 2 years old. For the attenuation of varicella zoster in adults the usual posology is 800 mg for 5 times a day for 7 days; in children, the dosage is defined by the doctor based on weight and age. The cream formulations, indicated for primary or recurrent cold sores and genital infections, should be applied 5 times a day, for a period of 5-10 days.
Note: Herpes simplex infections of the mucous membranes of the mouth and vaginal discharge require treatment by mouth.
How does Zovirax work?
Aciclovir works by blocking the DNA synthesis of the virus, preventing cell replication without interfering with the duplication of human DNA.
How long does Zovirax stay in your system?
The bioavailability of orally administered Zovirax is estimated between 15% and 30%. The drug is eliminated through kidneys after 1.5-2 hours. This period of time is extended to 19.5 hours in patients with kidney failure.
What are the side effects of Zovirax?
Zovirax can cause various types of side effects, although not all people experience them. This depends on the different sensitivity that each individual has towards the drug. Therefore, it is said that the undesirable effects do not all occur with the same intensity in each patient. The main side effects that can occur during Zovirax treatment are listed below.
Zovirax is an effective and very well tolerated antiviral drug. Zovirax oral therapies may be associated with modest side effects:
- abdominal pain
Zovirax cream can cause a slight sensation of itching or itching in the application point especially the first 2-3 days.
Oral Zovirax tablets are not contraindicated during pregnancy or during breastfeeding, but the opportunity of their use should be evaluated by the doctor.
- Accrivir – Sivling Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- Aciherpin – Agio Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Acirax – Synmedic Laboratories
- Acivir DT – Cipla Limited
- Acv – Geo Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
- Acvirall Dis – Terrace Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Acyclovir – Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
- Axovir – Samarth Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
- Civir DT – Biomax Biotechnics Pvt Ltd
- Clovirax DT – Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Cyclopiz – Gary Pharmaceuticals P Ltd.
- Docvir DT – Swiss Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
- Herperax – Micro Labs Ltd (Gratia)
- Herpex – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Herzovir – Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
- Lyrovir – Lyra Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Ocurax – IPCA Laboratories Ltd. (Innova)
- Optiviral – Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Virclo – Shinto Organics (P) Ltd.
- Virex – BDH Industries Ltd.
- Zovir – East West Pharma
- Zoylex – Neon Laboratories Limited
Where can you buy Zovirax over the counter?
You can order Zovirax without prescription online. This will not only save your time and efforts, but will also be a more economical solution; online pharmacies charges considerably less money for the products they distribute, since they skip so many expenses that brick-and-mortar pharmacies face.
Zovirax is a prescription drug and is not devoid of a certain number of contraindications (see Contraindications section), therefore professional healthcare consultation should be made, at your local health center or online, before you proceed with acyclovir therapy.